Menu Close

Domestic Relations Law 251
DRL 251: Filing of order in family court

DRL 251
Filing of order in family court

When, in a matrimonial action, the supreme court refers the issues of support, custody or visitation to the family court, the order or judgment shall provide that a copy thereof shall be filed by the plaintiff's attorney, within ten days, with the clerk of the family court therein specified.


This section of the Domestic Relations Law is provided as part of a free educational service by J. Douglas Barics, attorney at law for reference only. Statutes and codes such as DRL 251 are frequently amended, and no representation is made that the above version of DRL 251 is current. Updated statutes and codes may be available at the New York State Legislature Website. No statute should be relied on without understanding controlling case law which may further interpret it. An attorney should be consulted for legal advice.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact Mr. Barics at or (631) 864-2600. For more articles and information, please visit

J. Douglas Barics, Esq. – Divorce, family, matrimonial, trial and appeals lawyer in Long Island, New York.